Monday, March 7, 2011

Noah

One of the hardest things about wanting something and planning for it is the waiting for it. I know what I want..exactly what I want...and if I knew that I will have to wait X amount of time for XY and Z to happen, thatd be cool lol, but as we all know, thats not how life works :)
We have been planning this farm/animal sanctuary for a while now and a lot of it has been in the planning and talking stages. There has been much accomplished; we have a non profit status. We are now Noahs Arc Inc. :)  we've applied for an educational permit which will allow us to take our animals into schools and give talks about the importance of preserving Ohio wildlife and the role these animals plays in our ecosystem.
As of now, we have a female red fox named Roseanne,and  a female grey raccoon named Smokey. We have a male cinnamon raccoon and a male red fox coming in May and a skunk in June. All the animals are about 8 weeks old when we get them, some require bottle feeding. They come from an exotic animal breeder in Indiana. The all come from 20 generations or more of animals bred in captivity and have very docile characteristics. As tame as they are..they are, by instinct, still wild animals in many ways. I really respect that , and in doing so, one of the things Ive committed myslef to is that if im going to do this animal sanctuary based on conservation, i provide ALL my animals with environments as much like they would have in the wild, as necessary.
Because I can handle them in a way that animals actually from the wild couldn't be handled, it really gives me a great opportunity to provide some quality education.
We have a couple permits we have applied for, a class we're taking that will allow us to rehab orphaned wildlife, and of course the educational permit.
The last thing we have to get is our 501C3 status which will allow us to be tax exempt....AND THEN... we can start actively applying fro grants and seeking donations and fundraising, which we are hoping will all lead to the purchase of a nice peice of property for our horses and the whole..Arc! lol (you're seeing the theme here right? :))
I am also 6 classes away from finishing my masters degree in social work. I am planning on using our horses for therapy for traumatized children. I'll have my license to do family and child therapy and I cant think of ANYTHING Id rather do than spend my life helping the two most vulnerable groups around..children and animals. They have so much in common. They both are seriously affected by careless choices adults make, they both have a level of trust that once violated, can be almost impossible to duplicate, and they both can teach us a mich better way to look at the world..through their eyes, if we just stop long enough to look..
thanks for reading
Donny

No comments:

Post a Comment