Sunday, February 13, 2011

Them there are feudin words!

I was so excited to learn an interesting note about my ancestry this weekend. I have had a second person confirm that my great grandmother was a lesbian.
apparently, my graet grandpa Jake Hatfield and his wife Amanda lived in a little house with their 5 kids.  Grandma Amanda supposedly was a very plain woman who never wore make-up or cared how she looked ..until...
She began hanging around this new woman in town. They would go all kinds of places together, and then grandma Amanda began to wear make up and dresses and she eventually told Jake that she was leaving with her new partner.
Divorce really didn't happen in those days (early 1920's) and Grandpa Jake really didnt have the money to raise all this kids on his own, so he built a house..*next door* so that Amanda and her partner could live next door and they ALL helped raise the kids.
Now being in Tennessee, I am SURE that they were the talk of the town, but what a diplomatic way to handle a difficult unorthodox situation , plus, I think its pretty cool that I can trace homosexuality back in my family, proving that its NOT a random choice.
Oh also an interesting note, Jake Hatfield was a direct descendant of the Hatfield family,, of the famous Hatfield and McCoys Feud. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment